Tring second team held to controversial draw in Milton Keynes


The Tring men’s second XI shared a 3-3 draw with Milton Keynes in a six-goal thriller.

Tring started the game well and were rewarded with the opening goal after 15 minutes from Jonny Mee.

The Tring Hockey Club U12s were in action in two league fixtures at the weekend

The Tring Hockey Club U12s were in action in two league fixtures at the weekend

After this, Milton Keynes slowly increased their hold on the game and scored a fortuitous equaliser when the ball looped over Jon Brewer in goal.

The game exploded in the second-half as Tring regained their lead with a fine solo goal from Greg Roach, but the main talking point was the umpire’s apparent determination to get MK back in the match.

The hosts attacked down the right-hand side but covering Tring defender Ben Holman appeared to be tripped by his winger.

Despite the Tring appeals, a short corner was awarded to MK and they netted to level things up.

The hosts then took the lead from another short corner after a robust challenge from Dave Garner well outside the D.

But with time ticking away, Tring finally won their first short corner of the match and Roach fired home for a last-gasp leveller.

Elsewhere, the Tring U12s picked up two hard-earned Herts League victories on Sunday as they beat St Albans 5-3 before seeing off Harpenden 2-0.

The first half against St Albans was an end-to-end affair as Tring twice look the lead through Will Jack but were pegged back to 2-2 at half-time.

Tring looked good going forward but Owen Strakosch was forced to make some excellent saves.

In the second half, Tring played some good passing hockey and Gemma Marriott scored the goal of the game as she drove into the D and fired the ball home.

James Gardener also took up some good positions and showed great skill to score twice himself to secure the win.

Going into the second game with visible confidence, Tring defended well against Harpenden and took the lead with the last hit of the half through Tom Meacock.

The result was confirmed after the interval when Gardener crossed for George Evans to slot home the second.