A win and a defeat for the Hawks in exciting lacrosse double-header

The Hatch End Hawks lacrosse team
The Hatch End Hawks lacrosse team

Hatch End Hawks hosted their first double-header at the weekend when the second team faced Berkhamstedians Pendley before the firsts took on Newbury Royals.

Not having played together before was noticeable for the second team, and in the first few minutes Berkhamsted came out strongly and put a few goals away.

Hawks regrouped and started to get back into the game, though, with Maggie Hughes finding the net to inject some much needed confidence into the team.

The play that followed was very evenly matched with both teams trading goals and lots of end to end action.

Some fantastic mother and daughter link play from Bridget Angear and Hannah Thurston led to them both getting on the score sheet.

Thurston also produced some pin-point efforts as she finished the game with a hat-trick.

A string of saves from goalkeeper Holly Steel kept Hawks in with a fighting chance, but Berkhamstedians pulled away towards the end of the second half, finishing with a 12-9 win.

The firsts then took to the field against a Newbury team that won both of last year’s fixtures.

Hawks set the tone early on, winning the draw and controlling the ball, and netting the first goal through Lara Owen.

A couple more Hawks goals forced Newbury to call a time-out, and they responded with goals from Amy Martin and Storm Trentham.

Hawks hit back with some excellent team goals as Nicole Sawdaye assisted Owen, before Laura Dent hit the post, to send the hosts in at half-time with a 6-5 lead.

Newbury took some control at the beginning of the second half, pulling ahead with a couple of goals, but Hawks called their own time-out to compose themselves.

This did the trick as they fought their way back into the game with fierce drives from Tiffany Lake – who netted five in the match – and a well-placed shot from Sawdaye in the top right corner at a very tight angle.

A short undisciplined spell meant that Hawks ended up with two players on yellow cards for dangerous shots, but the home defence stood firm and did not concede.

This was followed by Newbury receiving a yellow card for yet another dangerous shot, and Hawks managed to capitalise with a couple of quick goals.

Hawks managed to maintain possession and composure in the final minutes of the game, with Lake adding one last goal with 10 seconds left on the clock to secure a 13-11 victory.

For more information on how you can play lacrosse with the Hawks, please email hatchendhawks@gmail.com