Tudors make a point

David Hutton scored the equaliser for Hemel Town against Gosport Borough. �Darren Kelly /  www.hemelfc.com
David Hutton scored the equaliser for Hemel Town against Gosport Borough. �Darren Kelly / www.hemelfc.com

Hemel Town 1
 Gosport Borough 1

Hemel Town extended their unbeaten run to five games as they shared the points with in-form Gosport Borough at Vauxhall Road.

Daniel Wooden gave Gosport an early lead, but David Hutton fired home to restore parity in the Evo-Stik league Southern Premier Division clash.

There was little to choose between the sides as the game progressed, and Hemel boss Dean Brennan admitted that ultimately he was satisfied with a point.

“I think a draw was a fair result on the day,” he said “Gosport are the form side in the league and we have started to build momentum.”

Hemel missed the chance to close the gap on table-topping Leamington after their loss to Chesham United, but Brennan insists he is not interested in the results of the Tudors’ title challengers.

“I don’t look at Leamington,” he said. “Just like (Man City boss) Roberto Mancini doesn’t look at Man United, I’m not looking at anyone apart from Hemel Town FC.

“We have got a points target and we are still on track to reach that.”

Gosport went into the game on the back of long unbeaten run, but it was Hemel who started the brighter of the two teams and Alex Campana saw his shot whistle wide.

Despite this, it was Gosport who broke the deadlock after 23 minutes when Wooden slotted into an empty net after Ashley Timms’ save from Rory Williams saw the ball fall kindly into his path.

The lead was only short-lived, though, and Danny Talbot took advantage of some rare space in the Gosport defence to drive into the box and tee up Hutton who fired home via the post to restore parity.

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first, with both sides enjoying periods of possession but neither managing to take advantage.

Hemel’s Jordan Parkes did well to head an effort off the line, and Timms was forced into a couple of decent stops.

The final chance fell to Hemel’s Matt Nolan, but he shot wildly over the bar when well placed on the edge of the area and the game ended all square.