Tring joy on dramatic final day of MSSML

30/4/2011'Berkhamsted FC, in yellow and blue, versus Ampthill Town.'Lawrence Bunker chests the ball.
30/4/2011'Berkhamsted FC, in yellow and blue, versus Ampthill Town.'Lawrence Bunker chests the ball.

TRING Athletic secured second spot in the Premier Division as the final weekend of matches in the MSSML threw up a number of thrills and spills.

Tring went into their game with Colney Heath knowing that a win would give them a good chance of leapfrogging Royston Town into the runners-up spot, but the side were held to a 1-1 draw.

With Royston holding a 1-0 half-time lead in their clash with Haringey Borough, it looked as though Tring would have to settle for third place, but a dramatic turnaround saw Haringey snatch the game - handing Tring the coveted second place.

It is the highest Tring have ever finished and their crucial point came courtesy of Nick Jackson who hit the all-important equaliser after Colney had taken the lead from the spot.

As the second-half of the game wore on, Jackson picked up the ball and linked well with Gary Dixon before chipping the ball into the net to salvage the draw.

Leverstock Green, meanwhile, hung on to fourth place in the league, despite a last-gasp defeat at Hertford Town.

Jack Lawrence gave Hertford the lead, before Louis West restored parity with a crisp strike into the roof of the net.

Green’s Charlie Gorman and Hertford’s Reece Dobson were then both shown red cards after a furious exchange, before the hosts struck an injury-time winner with a well-worked counter-attack.

Lee Roberts broke forward, and after his initial effort was blocked by keeper Gareth Tinsley, the Hertford man fired home to grab the points.

Colney Heath’s draw with Tring, though, meant Green stayed above Heath by virtue of goal difference.

Like Tring, Green will be proud of their efforts, having also finished in their highest ever league position following a remarkable second half of the season.

There was less drama in Division One, meanwhile, as league champions Berkhamsted once again demonstrated their dominance over the division with a crushing 7-1 win over Ampthill Town.

The victory meant the Comrades finished 15 points above their nearest rivals, and the side were also the division’s highest scorers.

Berko’s James Armstrong had further reason to celebrate as he netted his 43rd goal of the season to set a new club record and become the division’s joint top goalscorer.

Steve Hawes, Aaron Usmani, Matt Wardle, Tony Burnett (2) and Anthony Page completed the rout which will send out a warning sign to the Premier Division sides who the Comrades will be facing next season.

Third-placed Kings Langley, though, were edged out 2-1 by London Colney in their final match of the season.

With little to play for, Kings fell behind, but hit back as Lewis Toomey lobbed in to equal Armstrong’s tally of 43 goals for the campaign.

Hosts Colney, though, grabbed a decisive second to take the three points.