Tasty display from the Toffees leaves a bitter taste for the Golden Girls

Match action from Watford Ladies' defeat to Everton Ladies. Picture (c) Andrew Waller
Match action from Watford Ladies' defeat to Everton Ladies. Picture (c) Andrew Waller

Watford Ladies were defeated in the final game before the WSL2 summer break as Everton Ladies ran out 3-0 victors at Halton Stadium.

It took the hosts until just after half-hour to break the deadlock, with Paige Williams scoring from a corner to give her side the lead.

Match action from Watford Ladies' defeat to Everton Ladies. Picture (c) Andrew Waller

Match action from Watford Ladies' defeat to Everton Ladies. Picture (c) Andrew Waller

Goals either side of half-time would prove crucial. Chantelle Boye-Hlorkah doubled the advantage just before the interval and Michelle Hinnigan made it three with 52 minutes on the clock.

With 14 games still remaining from July to October for the Lady Hornets, there’s still plenty of opportunities for the young squad to progress and improve in both league and cup.

The Golden Girls made two changes from last week’s game against Yeovil, with Emily Heaslip coming back in for Vanna Lee and Ellie Butterwick replacing Hollie Wride.

Everton got off to a fast start, creating a number of chances in the first 15 minutes – Kelly Jones the first to go close with a header over the bar.

Shayla Burgess was called into action for the first time shortly afterwards, saving well low down to deny Danielle Turner.

The most clear-cut chance fell to Boye-Hlorkah, who was set up brilliantly but couldn’t convert from close range.

Having weathered the early pressure, Watford were restricting chances and getting a foot-hold in the game. Heaslip went on a brilliant 50-yard run, beating a couple of defenders in the process but was eventually stopped.

In truth, Burgess had little to do from the 11th to 33rd minutes; a set-piece, however, changed all that. Turner’s corner delivery was put into a good area and Williams got on the end of it to put her side in the lead.

While The Toffees had been on top for much of the half, it looked like it would only be a one goal deficit at the break. Boye-Hlorkah made sure that wasn’t the case. With seconds remaining, she cut inside and fired a brilliant effort into the right hand corner, making it 2-0.

Having scored five goals in the last three games, there was still ample time and hope that Watford would be able to get back into it.

Unfortunately, it didn’t take long for Everton to add the crucial third goal as Turner crossed for Hinnigan who cleverly directed it in.

Tricia Gould had only recently signed for the club and she came on for her debut, replacing Ellie Mason up top.

While Everton were having plenty of possession, the visitors were doing well to restrict chances. When Burgess was tested, her handling was spot on.

Arguably the best chance of the second half fell to Watford. A near post corner found Sasha Adamson; the forward sent it goalwards but Kirstie Levell did well to keep it out.

There could be few complaints at the direction the points were heading in. After only a couple of minutes added on, the referee called time on the first half of the season for the Golden Girls.

Watford: S Burgess, Heaslip, M Burgess, Robe, Gillard (Adamson 72), Butterwick, Green, Donnelly (Read 75), Dear, Natkiel, Mason (Gould 55).

Subs not used: Zekai, Scheffer, Tullett, Lee.

Attendance: 355.