Table-topping Comrades held by nine-man Colney

editorial image

SSML Premier Division leaders Berkhamsted dropped two points as they drew 2-2 against a Colney Heath side that had two men sent off in the closing stages.

The opening exchanges were fairly scrappy, with Comrades keeper Carl Tasker pulling off a double save to deny Brett O’Connor at the Canal End.

A penalty appeal was turned down at the other end, where Ricky Perks also pulled off a fine save from a header.

Jordon Frederick put Berko in front with a well worked and superbly taken goal, only for Colney Heath to equalise five minutes later.

Steve Hawes brought a man down on the far side of the penalty area; Tasker saved the initial spot kick form Matt Satnden but Rhys Lawrence followed up faster than the defenders to net the rebound.

Heath managed to keep BJ Christie quiet and Josh Chamberlain was taken ill at half-time as Dale Turney came on for a re-shaped Berko team.

Josh Bronte had a goal disallowed for offside as the visitors started the second half brightly.

Ashley Morrissey came on for Frankie Jowle and pulled a muscle almost immediately, so Dale Sears had to take his place for Berko.

Before that, ex-Leverstock Green forward David Bullett Parkinson galloped forward and struck a great shot to give the visitors the lead.

However, the Comrades were soon level when a long free-kick forward from Kyle Lincoln was going to James Baldry on the penalty spot but he was unceremoniously bundled over for another penalty kick at the Canal End.

Lincoln smashed the ball into the net to equalise and visiting skipper John McGrandles was shown a red card after committing the foul and protesting too much.

A later rumpus saw Jamie Gavin booked and Parkinson sent off for trying to start a fight.

It was a less than graceful exit from the Colney man as first he discussed it with the assistant referee on the far side, before travelling half the circumference of the pitch and visiting the bench before finally exiting the ground.

Even with the time added on for that incident, Berko did not have much opportunity to make the numerical advantage count and Heath survived a couple of corners to hang on to their point.

Elsewhere, Berko’s reserves got through in the Herts Intermediate Cup with a 3-1 win at Bovingdon thanks to goals from Nick Ward, Tom Shaw and Tommy Twelves, while the U18 side came from 1-0 down at half-time to beat Ampthill Town 6-2 and earn their first win of the season.