Sunday sides in cup action

editorial image

There were a number of cup shocks this week as the majority of the Berkhamsted Sunday Football League teams took part in the first round of the Steve Norwood Challenge Cup.

Division Three side Hemel Hempstead Corinthians supplied the biggest surprise of the day as they thrashed Division One outfit The Midland 8-0.

22/04/12'Blackbirds Rangers and Drays Athletic at Hemel Hempstead Town FC for the League Intermediate Cup final.

22/04/12'Blackbirds Rangers and Drays Athletic at Hemel Hempstead Town FC for the League Intermediate Cup final.

In an emphatic display, Craig Sharples struck five times for Corinthians, and Michael Dance (2) and Jack Robinson completed the rout.

Another team to knock out higher division opposition were Division Two’s Echoes who dug deep to secure a 3-1 extra-time victory over Division One team Blackbirds Rangers. Luke Wood (2) and Ross Eddy did the damage.

Division Three representatives Berkhamsted Athletic also had their giant-killing boots on as they recorded a 3-0 win over Division Two side The Queens Head.

An own goal opened the scoring, before Josh Hobbs and Matt Dalton made sure of the win.

AC Grapes, from Division Three, picked up a crushing 6-2 win over Division Two’s Inter Hemel Sunday courtesy of efforts from Drew Duggan (4), Juston Seymour and Paul Heath.

And it was a similar story for Park Rangers Reserves as goals from John Larter (2) and James Doyle helped them to a 3-0 win over The Patch.

The final shock of the day came from Division Four outfit Sporting Blackbirds who saw off Division Three’s Echoe Reserves 2-1 with goals from Jamie Palmer and Greg Goodchild.

The biggest winners of the week, however, were Leather Bottle who smashed Old Grey Mare 12-0.

Tom Carter helped himself to five goals and Ben Butler (3), Mark Broome (3) and Louis West also found the net.

Potten End Sunday had Lee Talbot and Tom Whiddet to thank for their 2-1 win over Big GC FC, while a Martin Jackson treble earned a 3-2 extra-time win for FC Berko at Tring Royals.

The Three Tuns produced an excellent display in extra-time to see off Herts Fencing 5-2 with efforts from Dale Colls (2), Danny Allen, Dan Green and Gavin Gow, and doubles from Scott Bangerte and Ross Giles helped The Three Blackbirds to a 4-3 win at Poggenpohl.

Goals from Dave Green (4), Alex Kingsley, Scott Vaughan and Myles Cash secured a 7-2 win for Comets Sports Club Reserves over Apsley Athletic, while Landrovers won 5-3 at Drays Athletic Reserves with efforts from David Chapman (3), Jason Lovell and Andy McQuarrie.

Alex Thompson’s hat-trick set Sportspace on their way to a 4-3 victory at The Old Bell Gate, with Jez Downes completing the scoring.

KLCC saw off Berko Tornadoes Reserves 6-4 after extra-time courtesy of strikes from Matt Smith (2), Mark Edgar, Liam Shutes, Robin Weller and Alex Charge.

Elsewhere, Meyer Fuller, Adam Durrant and Jamie France fired Drays Athletic to a 3-0 win at Boxmoor Rangers Reserves, while Greenacres beat Palace 3-2 thanks to Mark Crampton, Matt Lennon and Phil Keane.

Boxmoor booked their place in the next round of the competition with a 1-0 win at Rose and Crown courtesy of Richie Wiseman, and Doves United made it two wins from two as Sam Flood (2) and Adel Mannion earned a 3-1 triumph over The Bull Athletic.

In league action, meanwhile, Premier Division side Berko Tornadoes won 5-0 at Gossoms End with goals from Lee Stobbs (2), Ryan Sturges, Chris Thomas and Tom Kelly.

A Louis Austin treble and a Sonny French strike helped AFC Boars to beat Flaunden 4-0, and White Hart Rovers replicated that scoreline at Park Rangers.

Danny Tomkins (2) and Jonny Davies (2) got the goals.

Robin Hood also stole three points as they edged past Warners End. Dan To and Tom Haynes got their names on the scoresheet in a 2-1 win.