Saints smashed as Tudors storm through in the cup

Action from Hemel Town's trip to St Albans City in the Red Insure Cup. Picture courtesy of Darren Kelly.
Action from Hemel Town's trip to St Albans City in the Red Insure Cup. Picture courtesy of Darren Kelly.

HEMEL Town romped to a 3-0 win over local rivals St Albans City in the first round of the Red Insure Cup, as the Tudors’ revival under Tommy Widdrington continued to gather momentum.

Goals from Marvin Williams, Dave Pearce and Ryan Blake did the damage for the Tudors in a well-deserved win which the Vauxhall Road faithful will hope can be a springboard for future league success.

Hemel made a bright start to the game against a St Albans side struggling for form themselves, and took the lead inside 10 minutes as the outstanding Williams swept home Blake’s cross.

The Tudors continued to dominate proceedings and could have extended their lead early in the second half as Lewis Toomey saw his effort come back off the crossbar.

And with the momentum firmly in their favour, Hemel deservedly scored their second just after the hour mark.

After a foul on the edge of the area, Pearce stepped up and curled the ball home past a stranded Nick Jupp in the St Albans goal.

Hemel were starting to run riot as the hosts struggled to deal with the fluidity of Widdrington’s side, and the Tudors added a late third to wrap up the win.

A high cross from the left found its way to Williams, and he teed up Blake to slot home to the delight of the travelling Hemel support.

There were mixed fortunes for Dacorum’s sides in the third round of the Challenge Trophy, meanwhile, as Tring Athletic saw off Holmer Green 1-0 and Berkhamsted were thumped 6-2 by Haringey Borough.

David Whicker was the hero for Tring as his second-half strike was enough to steer Julian Robinson’s side into the next round of the competition.

It was a hard-fought win for Athletic, but the side were good value for the win after a confident defensive display.

The victory sets up a clash with Dunstable Town or Bletchley away in the next round.

Berkhamsted, however, were dumped out of the tournament as Haringey romped to a deserved win at Broadwater.

A Christopher Benjamin hat-trick set the visitors on their way, and they now face a semi-final clash with either Chesham United Reserves, Leverstock Green or Risborough Rangers.

There was better news for Kings Langley, though, as they came out on top in a thrilling Herts FA Charity Shield quarter-final tie at Hoddesdon Town.

In a superb game of football which saw both sides throw caution to the wind, goals from Craig Lynskey (2) Dan Campbell (2), Nathan Pooley and Jimmy Armstrong handed Kings a 6-4 victory.

After taking a 3-0 lead inside the first eight minutes, Kings looked set to cruise to the win.

Hoddesdon, however, pulled two goals back to make the score 3-2 after just 13 minutes.

Two more goals gave the hosts a 4-3 lead after 36 minutes, before Kings rallied to take a 5-4 advantage into half-time.

After the frenetic nature of the first-half, the second 45 minutes were a much more serene affair, and Kings wrapped up the win with a sixth goal.