Points are shared in bottom of table clash

Hemel Town's Lewis Toomey. Picture by Darren Kelly.
Hemel Town's Lewis Toomey. Picture by Darren Kelly.


Cirencester Town 0 Hemel Hempstead Town 0

THE Tudors extended their unbeaten run to four games – but slipped to second from bottom in the table after a 0-0 draw with fellow strugglers Cirencester Town.

In difficult, windy conditions, a draw was a fair result between two clubs scrapping for their lives – but in truth the stalemate did little to help either side’s cause.

Managerless Evesham United, meanwhile, picked up a valuable 2-1 win over Cambridge City to leapfrog the Tudors into 20th position.

The wind proved a constant disturbance at the Corinium Stadium as both Hemel and bottom side Cirencester struggled to deal with the conditions.

Hemel came close to taking the lead as a direct result of the elements when Cirencester keeper Kevin Sawyer almost punched the ball into his own net, before Nicky Beale saw his follow-up effort cleared off the line.

The hosts then had a good chance of their own as Paul Banks delivered a cross onto the head of Mitch Bryant – but Bryant could only head the ball tamely into the hands of Hemel keeper Nick Bussey.

There was controversy at the end of the half as Ryan Blake raced through on goal following a drop-ball, but the Hemel man could not get this shot away.

Both teams continued to search for a breakthrough after the interval, and Beale’s header from a Dave Pearce corner went narrowly over the bar.

Jon Else then tried his luck for the hosts, before Hemel launched a sustained period of pressure on the Cirencester goal.

First, Andy Gunn cleared an effort off the line, before Matt Wright and Lewis Toomey were denied by a fine double save from Sawyer.

The hosts then had a glorious chance to hit Hemel with a sucker punch, but Danny May made a fine goal-line clearance from Bryant’s effort.

And minutes from the final whistle, Bussey came to the rescue for Hemel as he made a superb flying save from another Bryant effort to ensure the game ended goalless.