Midweek football round-up

editorial image

DACORUM’S MSSML Premier Division contingent endured mixed fortunes on Tuesday night as Tring Athletic picked up a good win but Levy Green and Berko were both beaten.

Tring went into their game with Dunstable Town on the back of a disappointing run of form, but put in a good performance to see off their promotion-chasing opponents 2-0.

It was not such good news for Levy, however, as they went down 2-1 at St Margaretsbury as a result of a hotly-disputed second half penalty.

And Berko also lost out to the odd goal – slipping to a 4-3 defeat at Haringey Borough.

The results leave Tring in sixth place in the league table, with Green lying eighth and Berkhamsted occupying 11th.

After Tring’s disappointing performance against Broxbourne Borough on Saturday, Julian Robinson’s side put in a much improved display to see off high-flying Dunstable.

First half goals from Connor Waite and Reon Thomas put Tring ahead, and the side defended superbly to hold their lead until the 70th minute.

Dunstable were then given the chance to half the deficit from the penalty spot, but Tring keeper Mike Underwood pulled off a superb save to maintain his side’s two-goal cushion.

From then on, there was only going to be one winner, and Tring held on well to bag the three points.

Levy, meanwhile, were left fuming after their controversial loss at St Margaretsbury.

The home team started brightly and took the lead in the 8th minute as Anthony Anstead fired home from a narrow angle into the top corner.

The hosts hit the bar shortly afterwards, but Green found themselves back on level terms with 16 minutes played as a long kick from keeper Carl Tasker was flicked on by Adam Hallissey for Louis Austin to expertly lob home.

Both teams had further chances as the match progressed, but the decisive moment came in the 58th minute.

St Margaretsbury’s Chris Bell saw his shot blocked by Lee Bircham, and the match referee had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot.

Green were incensed as they believed the ball had struck Bircham in the face – not on the arm – but Adam Lawton kept his cool to slot home what proved to be the winner for the hosts.

Elsewhere, it was an equally frustrating night for Berkhamsted as they scored three goals but came away empty-handed against fourth-placed Haringey.

Connor Calcutt continued his fine goalscoring form for the Comrades as he netted twice, either side of a Steve Hawes goal.

That was not enough for Berko, though, and hosts Haringey showed why they are flying high in the league as they bagged four goals of their own to take the points.

Elsewhere, Division One side Kings Langley kept up their good run of recent form with a 5-1 thrashing of Sun Postal Sports.

Craig Lynskey bagged a hat-trick for Kings, and Jimmy Armstrong and Chris Mason completed the rout.