Kings Langley bounce back to form with victory at St Margaretsbury

Kings Langley in action at St Margaretsbury. Picture (c) Chris Riddell
Kings Langley in action at St Margaretsbury. Picture (c) Chris Riddell

After six games without a victory, Kings Langley returned to winning ways with an accomplished 3-1 triumph at St Margaretsbury in the SSML Premier Division.

Kings fashioned three good chances in the first 10 minutes; a lob from Mitchell Weiss, a deflected shot by new signing Daryl Atkins and a drive by Danny Hutchins as they dominated the opening exchanges.

Grateful to survive intact, the Bury worked their way back into the game and a curling shot by Matt Mitchell on the half hour was well tipped over by Kings keeper Ant Ladyman.

But within a minute, a poor cross-field pass by Warren Plowright was intercepted and the block fell to Mitchell to unselfishly square for Ant Anstead to net with ease.

A stunned Kings responded with a Weiss shot palmed to safety, but the striker’s run and penetrating cross a minute later found Daryl Atkins, who opened his account with a well taken equalizer.

A repeat of their goalscoring move almost restored the Bury’s lead as the Kings defence gave their travelling support palpitations – but Ant Ladyman came to the rescue with a save with his legs from the oncoming Charlie Edwards.

Kings, however, got the reward their increasingly flowing football deserved in the early minutes of the second half when a lofted cross caused confusion in the home box and a grounded Weiss stabbed the ball home.

The Kings number one was called on to execute another athletic tip over from a free-kick, but Kings were now in control.

When Connor Toomey’s searching wing pass was crossed by Danny Hutchins to give Daryl Atkins a dream start with a turn and shot under pressure, the points were won. Alex Campana hit the bar as the visitors coasted home and the only blot on grey autumnal afternoon was a confrontation after the final whistle that was dealt with by the officials.