Kings beat Baldock after extra-time to reach Division One Cup semis


Kings Langley are through to the semi-finals of the SSML Division One Cup after beating Baldock Town 2-1 after extra-time.

Kings made six changes to their starting line-up, bringing in keeper Steve Bourke and U18 players Tom Bourke and Matt Bateman.

Starting with an unfamiliar back four formation, Kings found the going tough and Steve Bourke had pulled off two good saves before an optimistic 60-yard back-pass saw his under-pressure clearance fall nicely for striker Lee Harman, who kept his cool to give Town the lead.

The Kings management team responded by changing tactics with Lee Burgoyne moving to the left of a back-three and the impact was immediate.

Tom Carter, who had been just off target earlier, put a shot on the run narrowly over the bar and Bateman had a snap-shot well saved by Nicky Stillwell.

However, the latter was powerless when Carter’s fierce shot took a deflection to loop over him on the stroke of half-time to level the scores.

Nathan Aulsbury found space but hit the base of the post, Tom Bourke had a fizzer from the wing tipped over and Jack Johnson saw his shot cleared off the line as both sides battled for a place in the semis.

Louis Taylor spurned a last-minute chance for Town when through, but the unwanted guest duly arrived and extra-time commenced.

Nine minutes in and Kings won a corner on the left, taken by Alex Campana. The ball swung into a packed box and frantic activity ended with Bateman cracking the ball home on what must have been the third attempt.

Campana hit the bar five minutes later, but Town threw everything but the kitchen sink at Kings in the second period of extra-time.

There was fortune when Baldock were inches away from a connection with the goal gaping, but courage when Steve Bourke pulled off a point blank save at feet.

It was fitting that his was virtually the last touch of a gruelling but entertaining tie, tipping the ball past the post to finally break Baldock hearts.