Jets edge out Levy Green in tight Premier Division clash

editorial image

Leverstock Green couldn’t keep their run of league wins going as they went down to a single-goal defeat at Oxhey Jets on Saturday.

Leverstock had the early chances in the game. In the fourth minute a great fine from Nathan Jallow gave Billy Smith a run at goal, but Smith’s shot was saved by Will Baker.

Four minutes later, a cross from Louis Bircham was sliced by Jets defender Jordan Gutteridge, who was inches away from registering an own goal.

The home side then had two quick chances to take the lead. In the 10th minute Lee Armitt was put clean through on goal, but Kieran Jimmy came off his line and made a good save.

Two minutes later, Armitt was one-on-one with Jimmy again, but this time the Leverstock keeper dived at the forward’s feet to claim the ball.

In the 36th minute, Leverstock went close again when a free-kick from Callum Wright flicked off a defender’s head and went inches wide.

However, three minutes later, just after Leverstock had been denied a free kick just outside the box for what looked like a foul on Smith, Jets broke away again and finally Armitt was able to slot the ball past Jimmy to put his side ahead.

Green had another chance just before half-time when Bircham took the ball round keeper Baker, but he was forced wide and the keeper saved his shot.

In the last minute of the half Armitt was clean through for a fourth time, and again Jimmy came out on top as he saved with his legs.

The second half was similarly evenly-contested, but with fewer chances for each side.

On 55 minutes Jallow received a pass from Bircham and turned quickly but his shot was saved by Baker. Four minutes later a shot from Bircham went just over the bar.

Leverstock were fortunate not to be reduced to ten men when Danny Arnett was only shown a yellow card for going in straight through the back of Armitt; a challenge for which most referees would have produced a straight red.

Five minutes from time it was Jets who were down to ten when John Daily went in two-footed on James Sears, and this time the referee did produce the straight red card.

Despite the numerical advantage, Leverstock could not create a chance to rescue the game over the closing minutes and Oxhey held on for the three points.