Dominant Town held at home by Bedford

editorial image


Hemel Town 1 Bedford Town 1

Ross Lafayette in action for Hemel Town against Bedford Town. Picture courtesy of Darren Kelly.

Ross Lafayette in action for Hemel Town against Bedford Town. Picture courtesy of Darren Kelly.

A HATFUL of chances came and went for Hemel as the Tudors were held to a frustrating draw with Bedford Town at Vauxhall Road.

Despite bossing the game for 90 minutes, Hemel only had one goal to show for their efforts after man of the match Dave Pearce volleyed home a second half equaliser for Mark Eaton’s men.

While the result sees Hemel post another point on the board, it does little to help the Tudors in their fight against relegation.

The Vauxhall Road faithful can take heart from the performance, however, and had the Town forwards had their shooting boots on then the Tudors would have run out comfortable winners against their mid-table opponents.

Hemel boss Eaton was encouraged by what he saw from his side, but admitted he was frustrated not to have taken all three points from the game.

“We were better than them but it’s another two points dropped,” he said. “We’ve not scored our chances and it’s just little lapses that we need to sort out.

“I’m disappointed about the result but positive about the performance. Hopefully we can start to change our luck a little bit.

“Our strikers need to be a bit more decisive and we need to stay positive as a group. Everyone at the club has to stay positive.”

Hemel knew how important Saturday’s game was and the side made a bright start to the game with Dennis Fenemore’s overhead kick well-saved before Ross Lafayette headed wide when well-placed in front of goal.

The Tudors continued to dominate proceedings and should have gone ahead when livewire Pearce carved out a big chance for Fenemore, but the striker could only lash over the bar from six yards out.

And the hosts were made to pay for their profligacy after 36 minutes as former Tudors striker Drew Roberts volleyed Bedford into the lead.

Town responded well to going behind and continued to press, but were frustrated time and again by ex-Hemel keeper Ian Brown who was having a fine game for Bedford between the sticks.

The second half was welcomed in by a shower of rain, and the chances continued to pour down on the Bedford net.

With 49 minutes on the clock, Hemel finally made their pressure count as Pearce fired his side level with a crisp half-volley at the back post .

With the wind in their sails, Hemel pressed for a winner and the decisive second goal for the Tudors could have arrived courtesy of Lafayette.

The ball fell to the big Hemel front-man inside the penalty area, but he could only side-foot his effort at Brown who saved easily to ensure the points were shared.