Smoke alarm fitted by the fire service saved woman, 83, from Hemel Hempstead house fire

thegazette@jpress.co.uk
thegazette@jpress.co.uk

A smoke alarm that had been fitted by the fire service alerted neighbours to a bedroom blaze in an elderly woman’s home.

Firefighters discovered the 83 year old woman in her kitchen when they rushed to the home in Boxted Road, Hemel Hempstead, this morning.

She had been unaware that there was a fire in the upstairs rear bedroom.

Crew commander Stuart Saunders said: “A smoke alarm that the fire service had fitted had alerted someone and they had contacted the fire service.”

Two crews put out the flames just before 9.30am and it is believed the blaze, which engulfed a bedside unit and computer, was started by an electrical fault.

>For a free home fire safety check call 0300 123 4046 or click here for an online request form