Recycling centre fire is out after three months

editorial image

A fire that raged for almost three months to the day has now been extinguished.

Firefighters have confirmed that the blaze among a pile of wood waste at the recycling site in Appspond Lane, Potters Crouch, on the border of Hemel Hempstead and St Albans went out on Friday, February 8.

The cause of the fire, which started on November 10, has been logged as accidental due to spontaneous combustion.

Smoke from the blaze had forced police to close surrounding roads in the initial days of the fire.

Firefighters had worked to contain the flames and were then visiting the site once a day to work with the site operators until the fire burned itself out.