‘I won’t take my eyes off a drink ever again’

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE

A girl who ended up severely ill in hospital after she suspected her drink was spiked has told of how much the ordeal is affecting her.

The 19-year-old, who does not wish to be named, had been drinking on a night out in Berkhamsted town centre on Friday, May 10 but collapsed while in The George pub on High Street.

She said: “I didn’t know anything had happened, I was stood at the bar with a friend but that is all I remember.

“They were trying to shut the pub when they found me unconscious in the toilet, my friends had noticed I was missing but thought I had gone somewhere else.”

The teenager was then taken to an intensive care unit at Stoke Mandeville hospital, where she was treated for severe hypothermia due to her critically low body temperature. Although the girl admits she had been drinking alcohol that night, she believes there was something else in her system to make her body react so dramatically.

She said: “I was asked if I had taken any drugs but I hadn’t taken anything. Doctors were certain I had ingested something I shouldn’t have and they said I could have died if I hadn’t been found when I was.

“I keep thinking someone could have hurt me, so I was lucky, in a way. My advice to girls is that sometimes things can be dangerous on a night out, even when you think you are being careful.

“It is going to change the way I am, I don’t really leave my drink alone apart from with my friends, so it shows how sneaky people can be if they are spiking drinks. I won’t take my eyes off my drink ever again.”

Herts Police are investigating the incident. The George’s landlord Mark Wheway is adamant no drugging took place in his pub.

Last week the Gazette published police advice on vigilance while drinking.