Flat left nearly ‘gutted’ after a first-floor blaze

Fire Service job cuts
Fire Service job cuts

A HOME was left “pretty well gutted” after a kitchen fire.

Firefighters spent just over five hours dealing with the blaze in a first-floor flat at Castano Court, Kitters Green, Abbots Langley, after a 10.50am call on Monday.

Hemel Hempstead watch commander Mark Mannell said: “The flat was pretty well gutted and everything inside would have needed replacing.

“A couple of windows had popped out due to the fire.”

The block of flats was evacuated and at one point it looked like fire could spread to a flat next-door.

The flat where the fire began was empty at the time – the owner returned with his girlfriend later.

Mr Mannell said: “She had left her handbag in the flat and was wondering if it had suffered.”

Two old women who lived nearby were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

Investigators believe the fire started accidentally from a bin in the kitchen.