Firefighters tackle two blazes caused by burnt cooking in one night

Green End Lane
Green End Lane

A person had to be carried to safety by firefighters last night in one of two blazes within hours of each other that were caused by burnt cooking.

The first call-out came in at 8.55pm to a property in Green End Lane, Hemel Hempstead, after care service Eldercare reported that its automatic smoke alarm was activating.

Firefighters found the home smoke-logged when they arrived and carried the person who had been inside to safety.

First aid was administered there and then until the ambulance service arrived to take the householder, who was suffering from smoke inhalation, to hospital.

Firefighters left the area just after 9.35pm.

They were called out to a second fire caused by burnt cooking just after 10.10pm last night. Three crews rushed to the house in Northridge Way, just round the corner from the first Green End Lane call-out, on reports that people were still inside.

But the firefighters discovered that it was just a ‘small fire in the kitchen’, which was dealt with by removing food from the cooker.

The property was smoke-logged, so crews ventilated it before departing.