Boozing teen burglar crashed stolen car while over the limit

editorial image

TEENAGE burglar Ryan Dineen was over the limit when he crashed a car he had stolen from outside a house in Hemel Hempstead.

Dineen, 19, was chased from the scene but caught by a police officer as he tried to escape over a wall, St Albans Crown Court heard on Friday.

Prosecutor Alison Ginn said a woman was woken at 4am at her home in Belswains Lane by her dog barking.

She went downstairs to find her handbag on the floor with the purse and car keys missing.

Her door was open and she saw her Toyota, which had been parked on the driveway, being driven off.

She phoned the police and a few minutes later the car was seen in Wheelers Lane travelling at speed with no lights on.

It went into Deaconsfield Road and Runham Road, before hitting a wall at the junction with Seaton Road.

Dineen ran off, but left a blue jacket, a photo-identity card with his name on it and his mobile phone at the scene.

Another officer who had answered the 999 call saw Dineen climbing over a wall and shouted for him to stop.

He carried on climbing but was pulled back and arrested. He smelt of alcohol and later gave a breath test reading of 62 – the legal limit for driving is 35.

The prosecutor said Dineen had also got into a home in Lawn Lane and stolen car keys, vodka and wine.

While on bail he got into a row at Sainsbury’s in London Road, Apsley, after being asked to provide identification for buying alcohol. He told a security guard: “You P*** bastard. Why don’t you go back to your own country. What are you doing here?” He told another member of staff she was a “fat ****”

Dineen, of Maynard Road, Hemel Hempstead, appeared for sentence having admitted two burglaries, aggravated vehicle taking and two public order offences.

Carl Woolf, defending, said that Dineen had been drinking for three weeks at the time of the burglaries after his girlfriend had suffered a miscarriage. “Both were heartbroken and he was drinking heavily,” he said.

Mr Woolf said Dinenn knew he was facing a long time in custody.

Judge Andrew Bright QC sentenced him to two years and four months behind bars and banned him from driving for 18 months.

He told him: “When you drink you behave in a way that is completely unacceptable.”