Bonfire that spread to roof

editorial image

FIRE: A bonfire ember spread to a building and caused a night-time blaze that took firefighters more than an hour to put out.

Twelve firefighters rushed to the scene in Sergehill Lane, Bedmond, after a 1.20am call-out on Sunday.

They believe the blaze was caused by an ember from a bonfire that spread to compost piled up against a home’s outbuilding.

Hemel fire station crew commander Paul Adams said the building is a barn conversion that he thinks was being used as a garage.

Fire crews used a ladder to climb to the unoccupied building’s roof, then removed tiles to put out flames on the building’s timbers.