Waymark restoration: ‘It’s small but significant, and here’s why’

Berkhamsted Community Partnership chairman Tony Statham, town mayor Peter Matthews, Berkhamsted Citizens Association chairman Susan Johnson, and National Tyres manager Charlie Dean - and... the waymark and old boundary marker
Berkhamsted Community Partnership chairman Tony Statham, town mayor Peter Matthews, Berkhamsted Citizens Association chairman Susan Johnson, and National Tyres manager Charlie Dean - and... the waymark and old boundary marker

The Sparrows Herne waymark and old boundary marker between Berkhamsted and Northchurch have been restored as part of the 90th anniversary celebrations of a civic and amenity society.

The Berkhamsted Citizens Association (BCA) organised and paid for the restoration of the two items, which are set against National Tyres at 352 High Street.

The waymark and old boundary marker up close and personal PNL-141109-190513001

The waymark and old boundary marker up close and personal PNL-141109-190513001

Financial assistance was provided by Berkhamsted Town Council and Berkhamsted Community Partnership, with support from the Berkhamsted History & Museum Society, The Milestone Society and Dacorum Borough Council.

BCA chairman Susan Johnson said: “Thanks must also go to the staff at National Tyres for their patience with the comings and goings.

“It is a small but significant part of Berkhamsted’s heritage and, as a result, the BCA has made an application to English Heritage to have it listed.

“The waymark is one of only two original markers remaining, put up by the Sparrows Herne Trust to mark the route of the toll road that ran from Aylesbury to Sparrows Herne in Bushey, following the now A4251 (old A41), and lasting from 1762 to 1873.

“The Trust was set up in The Kings Arms and wound up in the old Workhouse, which stood on Kitsbury Parade until the 1930s; so a truly Berkhamsted venture.

“The toll road was no longer a going concern after the arrival of the railways, but its existence is marked as a small but significant part of transport history.”