Don’t flip out and forget about safety when Pancake Cake comes around on Tuesday, say County Hall experts.
Firefighters are urging chefs to take care as fat and chip pan fires can be devastating.
Richard Thake, the cabinet member for community safety, said: “Making pancakes can be lots of fun for the whole family.
“However, more than half of all accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen so please take care, especially when cooking with hot oil.
“I hope everyone has a happy and safe Shrove Tuesday.”
When using a frying pan or cooking with hot oil, remember the golden rules:
Never leave the pan unattended when the heat is switched on
Do NOT move the pan if it is on fire
If the pan does catch fire, turn off the heat if it is safe to do so – never throw water over it.
Don’t attempt to tackle the fire yourself - get out, stay out and call 999.
Chief fire officer and director of community protection Roy Wilsher added: “When you have finished cooking your pancakes, make sure that all the appliances are turned off and the cooking area is clear.
“ It’s also vital to have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home and a fire escape plan so that you know how to leave the house if a fire does break out.”