Kitchen fire prompts a safety sweep of properties

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE

Firefighters used a call out to a kitchen fire as an opportunity to spread their safety message and install smoke detectors.

Hemel Hempstead’s White Watch crew were called to Alison Court just after 10.30am on Tuesday.

The fire started when cooking oil on a hob was left unattended but the flames had been extinguished before firefighters arrived.

They visited neighbouring homes and three fire safety home visits – where potential hazards are highlighted, advice given, escape plans drawn up and smoke detectors fitted – were carried out.

Councillor Richard Thake, who oversees community safety in Herts, said: “A working smoke alarm can buy you and your family the valuable time you need to get out, stay out and call 999. But you’re more than four times as likely to die in a fire if you don’t have a working alarm.”

Householders should fit a smoke alarm on every level of the home, test it regularly and plan an escape route. For a free home check call 0300 1234 046.