Fag end warning after fire damages Highfield flat

22/11/2011'Fire at Sharpcroft, Hemel Hempstead.
22/11/2011'Fire at Sharpcroft, Hemel Hempstead.

FIREFIGHTERS have warned of the dangers of cigarette ends after one set fire to a flat in Hemel Hempstead today (Tuesday).

The fire caused extensive damage to the bedroom and smoke damaged the rest of the flat and the one above, where a neighbour raised the alarm.

22/11/2011'Fire at Sharpcroft, Hemel Hempstead.

22/11/2011'Fire at Sharpcroft, Hemel Hempstead.

Three fire engines sped to the scene just after 9am and the fire was out shortly afterwards.

A man left the property in Sharpcroft, Highfield, in the morning, leaving something burning in an ash tray on the bed.

No-one was in the property at the time but lead fire investigation officer David Stokes said: “The message is: Be careful with your fag ends.

“He has left something burning in the ash tray. The warning is make sure everything is out.”