Developer rethinks bid for New Lodge homes

editorial image
0
Have your say

THE building of 50 homes could begin next year after new plans were submitted.

The 29 flats and 21 houses are due to be constructed in the New Lodge development between Bank Mill Lane and London Road in Berkhamsted.

Originally developer Henry Homes Berkhamsted had applied to build 39 flats and 11 houses on the site.

But on behalf of the firm, Faye Cass said: “The previously agreed scheme was not developed as it did not meet market demand and this continues to be the case.”

If approved, the New Lodge scheme will now feature a row of five houses facing Bank Mill Lane instead of the block of flats in its previous application – among other changes.

The original application was rejected by Berkhamsted Town and Dacorum Borough Councils before being granted permission by the Planning Inspectorate in 2010.

It came under fire from neighbours a year later, who said its owners had allowed it to become decrepit and overgrown.

Berkhamsted town councillor Garrick Stevens said: “The mortgage market dried up, so the developer decided sitting on his hands was the best thing to do.”

Henry Homes Berkhamsted said it wants to start building the new homes “as soon as is practicable” if permission is granted.

The firm expects to have show homes there by late next year.

Faye Cass said it has done its best to keep the site secure in all the time it has owned the land.

She said Henry Homes Berkhamsted has spoken to neighbours and councillors about its plans and taken their concerns on-board.

Berkhamsted Town Council will discuss the new plans at a 7.30pm meeting on Monday in Berkhamsted Civic Centre.