TWO teenagers have spoken out about how their lives were transformed by a ‘horrendous’ alleyway assault.
The 18-year-olds, who do not want to be named, were attacked in the early hours of Saturday, September 25, 2010, but their attackers were never caught.
One victim still suffers from 70 per cent hearing loss and short-term memory loss after a motorbike’s D-lock was clamped to his head. He was in hospital for 13 days after the attack and had blood coming out of his ears.
He went from passing seven of his exams in plumbing the year before the assault to failing them all the year after.
He had been about to take his driving test – but has now had his provisional licence taken away due to his injuries.
His friend, who had been voted player of the year in his rugby team, has now given up the sport altogether.
“There were white flashes whenever I went to tackle someone,” he said. His physical injuries were less severe.
The Hemel Hempstead pair were attacked as they walked from The George pub to The Kebab House in Berkhamsted High Street after being beckoned into an alleyway.
Detective constable Deborah Keating said: “It will never end. This is an investigation we will always pursue. It is a larger group attacking a smaller group, and it is totally unprovoked.”
Police spokesman Olivia Finucane said: “Put yourself in the families’ shoes. If you think your child is involved in these horrendous crimes, please come forward.
“The people who did this would have been extremely messy. They would not have been able to wear those clothes again without washing them first.”
If you can help, phone police on 101.