Dacorum Borough Council has released a statement after hearing that one of their tenants fell to his death from a top-floor flat while trying to get rid of mould.
The news was revealed today at the inquest of David Vibert, who fell through the window of Leverstock Green’s nine-storey Pelham Court on October 27 last year.
Herts Coroners Court heard that the 52-year-old and his dad had to wash everything with bleach to remove fungus, and get rid of a lot of David’s bedding and curtains.
He took the safety latches off his windows and left them wide open to get rid of the smell, but later fell out while redecorating in that area.
Dacorum Borough Council, which owns the flat, was not represented at David’s inquest today, and this afternoon spokesman Luisa Clarke said the authority did not even know it was happening.
The council has now released a statement from Fiona Williamson, from its housing landlord service.
It says: “We have heard that the inquest was held today into the tragic death of Mr David Vibert last October.
“Dacorum Borough Council was not asked to attend and we understand that a verdict of accidental death was recorded. First and foremost, our thoughts go out to Mr Vibert’s family and friends.
“Following Mr Vibert’s fall we cooperated with the police investigation. Our housing officers also visited tenants at Pelham Court to address any concerns that they may have had.
“If any of our tenants want to contact us about their properties or request a repair, they can call us on 01442 228000.”