Cause of wood fire is revealed
Firefighters believe that spontaneous combustion caused a massive pile of wood at a recycling centre to go up in flames.
The blaze at the Appspond Lane base has been raging for almost three months.
Now firefighters visit the smouldering remains just once a day to check site operators are able to keep the fire under control. It should eventually burn itself out.
A spokesman for the Environment Agency said: “We are still investigating whether there are offences under the environmental legislation relating to the operator’s environmental permits and the wider impacts of the incident. We will consider enforcement action if the site is found not to be compliant with their permits.”
- UPDATE: Staff from Tring’s oldest family business distraught after track death tragedy
- Inquest opens after Berkhamsted man dies in track death tragedy
- Interesting facts about Berkhamsted
- Will £65,000 humps solve problem of Berkhamsted smash blackspot?
- Berkhamsted’s Petertide Fair raises thousands for charity
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Hemel Hempstead
Tuesday 18 June 2013
Temperature: 15 C to 22 C
Wind Speed: 9 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 13 C to 24 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North