A council has put together a list of 10 reasons to be cheerful about living in Dacorum – including the notorious Magic Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead.
Dacorum Borough Council had been planning to hand out flyers to shoppers in Marlowes to cheer them up on Blue Monday (January 21), the gloomiest day of the year.
But the council cancelled that event so we thought we’d bring the list to you anyway. Apparently, the sun also shines on Dacorum, which includes Tring and Berkhamsted, for longer than average.
1. People in Dacorum are generally healthier than the England average, and life expectancy is generally longer.
2. Dacorum has many excellent green spaces – including Gadebridge Park in Hemel Hempstead, which holds Queen Elizabeth II Field status, and Tring Memorial Gardens, Canal Fields in Berkhamsted, and Chipperfield Common, which have all been awarded Green Flags.
3. People in Hemel Hempstead are generally happier with where they live than the national average.
4. The unemployment rate is lower in Dacorum than the national average, and is getting lower as more people find work.
5. Many parts of Dacorum are so picturesque they’ve been featured in films and TV shows – including Stardust, Son of Rambow, and Diana, and the BBC’s Merlin, Sense and Sensibility, and Mr Stink.
6. Dacorum is home to Britain’s best roundabout – the Magic Roundabout.
7. Dacorum is generally a safe place, and it’s getting safer all the time as crime and disorder rates continue to fall.
8. Dacorum is one of the sunniest places in the UK, with over 30.3 hours of sunshine per week.
9. Business is thriving in Dacorum – there are around 7,500 businesses operating from the borough, and several big name brands, including Amazon, ASOS and Epson, have headquarters here.
10. People in Dacorum have access to a range of sports facilities, including the Snow Centre, which boasts the UK’s largest indoor lesson slopes, and the world-class XC, which offers skating, rock climbing, and indoor caving.
> What do you think? Leave your comments below...