CINEMA goers had to be evacuated when a light went up in flames filling Hemel Hempstead’s Leisure World complex with smoke.
Firefighters were called to the Jarman Park venue just before 8pm on Sunday when a member of the public spotted flames in an outside light.
Staff tried to put out the blaze themselves but it was too high to reach.
Two fire crews from Hemel Hempstead used a high pressure hose reel to put out the flames.
Blue watch commander Jon Batchelor said: “When we arrived the lighting station was well alight.”
It is thought heat from the light had ignited bird nesting within the building’s roof or an electrical fault had caused the light to burst into flames.
The cinema remained closed for the rest of the evening.