Barbecue started house fire

Fire Service job cuts
Fire Service job cuts

A BANK holiday barbecue turned into a blaze after its coals were left in a dustbin close to a house.

Six fire crews fought the flames, which had spread to the home’s extension - used as a games room, after a call-out at 3am on Sunday.

They had put out the fire in Wigginton Bottom, Wigginton, by 4am.

Simon Hoggett, spokesman for Herts Fire and Rescue Service, said: “There was massive damage to the extension, but the quick actions of the fire crews prevented it from spreading to the rest of the house.”